Advice for thunderstorms
Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 5:00pm
We are currently experiencing a series of severe thunderstorms with associated heavy rain. Tararua District Council Emergency Management office advises that during these storms people should:
- take shelter, preferably indoors away from windows;
- avoid sheltering under trees, if outside;
- move cars under cover or away from trees or storm drains;
- secure any loose objects around your property;
- check that drains and gutters are clear; and
- be ready to slow down or stop, if driving.
During and after the storm, you should also:
- beware of fallen trees and power lines; and
- avoid streams and drains as you may be swept away in flash flooding.
Tararua District Council is urging motorists to take extra care when driving during or after a severe weather event. Surface flooding is a common occurrence during heavy rain, it is important for you to be ready to slow down, or stop.
Keep up-to-date with the status of Tararua District roads at: www.tararuadc.govt.nz/roadstatus