Building Consents for Fireplaces

With winter just around the corner, don’t forget to get your building consent application in early if you are thinking of updating your fireplace or installing a new fireplace...

What do we need from you?

  • You will need to complete a Form 2SF – Solid Fuel Appliance Application 
    Click link above to download or collect a copy from your nearest Council Service Centre
  • Two copies of the manufacturers specifications and your floor plan are required. The plan needs to show the location of the fire, nearest windows and the smoke alarms (these must be located within three metres of your bedroom doors and must be in working order).
  • Payment of full fees at time of application submission.

How much will it cost me?

  • A freestanding fire is $275 and includes one inspection.
  • An inbuilt fire is $370 and includes two inspections.

How long will it take?

Under the Building Act 2004, Council are allowed up to 20 working days to process a consent. Remember, you must have your approved building consent before you install your fire.

What does a fire inspection involve?

FREESTANDING: Our Building Officers will check that the appliance is installed to the manufacturers details. They will check all clearance details (wall, floor, ceiling, drapes, joist, rafter, battens, purlins, insulation and underlay), hearth dimensions and fixings/flue size, as well as height and location in relation to roof plane. They will also ensure that the roof flashings are weathertight. Finally, they will check that the smoke alarms are in the correct location and are in working order.

INBUILT: On the first inspection, our Building Officers will check the stability and integrity of chimney and hearth and identify any remedial work that needs to be carried out before the second inspection. They will check the mantle height/clearance and will discuss heat shield requirements. (Please ensure that the chimney is swept and clean and that the fire has not been installed before this inspection).

On the second inspection the Building Officers will check the installation is in accordance with the manufacturers and consent details, they will check all clearance details, hearth dimension, flue size and height. They will ensure the chimney/roof flashing are weathertight and check the smoke alarms.

What if I want a wetback installed?

If you are having a wetback installed, this work must be carried out by a registered plumber. You can go to to check that the plumber you are using is registered.

Council Building Officers are happy to give advice. If you have any questions regarding the building consent process, please call Council on 06 374 4080.

<< Back to Latest News(Posted on: 29/03/2016)