Dog Registration


Dog registration due 31 July

It’s not too late to complete and pay for your dog registration; all registrations need to be completed and paid in full on or before 31 July to avoid the late/penalty fee.

Council is happy to answer any questions you may have regarding animal control. You can get in touch with the Council team by emailing info@tararuadc.govt.nz, or phoning 06 374 4080 or 06 376 0110.


Registering your dog

If your dog was registered last year, you should have received a new registration form in the mail during June. If not, you need to go to your nearest Council Service Centre to collect one or contact us and request it be sent to you.

Notice of Dog Registration Fees for the 2017/2018 Financial Year

Notice is hereby given that pursuant to Section 37 of the Dog Control Act 1996, the Tararua District Council at its meeting held on 31 May 2017 set the following dog control fees (including GST) for the year of 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018. Owners are required to register their dogs by 1 August of each year, failing which an additional penalty fee of 50% of the base fee will apply.

Dog Registration (on or before 1 August)

Disability assist dogs    no charge 
Working dogs   $32.00 
Rural domestic dogs   $32.00
Preferred owner dogs   $45.00
Urban domestic dogs    $84.00
Dangerous dogs   150% of the applicable registration category

Dog Registration (paid after 1 August*)

Disability assist dogs    no charge 
Working dogs   $48.00 
Rural domestic dogs   $48.00
Preferred owner dogs   $126.00
Urban domestic dogs    $126.00
Dangerous dogs   150% of the applicable registration category

* Disability assist dog has the same meaning as in the Dog Control Act 1996.

* Preferred owners that register their dogs late (after 1 August) may lose their status and the fee charged will be the applicable registration category.

* Dangerous dog has the same meaning as in the Dog Control Act 1996.

* Any new dog up to 3 months of age will be charged a pro rata of the base fee.

* Any new dog from 3 months of age to 6 months of age will be charged the full base fee.

Other Dog Registration Fees

Replacement registration tag   $2.00 
Application for preferred status   no charge
Application to keep three or more dogs (urban)   no charge

What happens if I don't register my dog by 1 August?

Owners are required to register their dogs by 1 August each year, failing which, an additional penalty fee of 50% of the base fee will apply. If you don't renew your registration tag by the 1 August every year, you will be required to pay a penalty fee for each dog. If your dog remains unregistered past the end of August you may receive a fine of $300 per dog as well as the chance of having the dog seized and impounded. You will also lose any preferred dog status and will be ineligible to apply for preferred dog status for 12 months.


Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Rural/Working Dog? Rural (working/domestic) Dogs need to be living on more than 1 hectare or farm dogs living in town need proof of ability to work stock. Pig Dogs in Urban areas do not qualify for rural classification.

What is Preferred Dog Status? This is issued to a Dog owner who has complied with certain conditions. You can get the forms from your nearest office or download the forms here (60KB pdf).

What are the benefits of registering your dog? A dog's registration tag offers proof of ownership. It is required under the Dog Control Act 1996 that all dog owners register their dog when it reaches 3 months of age. The details of the owner and the dog are registered on the Council's computer system. If your dog is found and it is wearing its tag, you will be contacted as soon as possible to come and get your dog or it may be returned to you when it is picked up. If you are moving to another district, you can take your Tararua District Council tag to your new local Council and they will exchange it for one of theirs at no charge.

What does my registration pay for? Barking dogs, wandering dogs, dogs causing a traffic hazard, dogs fouling on public/private land, dogs scavenging in rubbish, dogs damaging property, attacks on people/pets/stock/protected wildlife, education for schools, and a 24/7 Animal Control service. Registration pays for 95% of Animal Control's activities, the remaining 5% is collected from rates.

What do I do if my dog has passed away, or if I have sold my dog? If your dog is deceased, you will need to fill out this form and then contact us. If you have left the district, sold or transferred ownership of a dog, you will need to fill out this form and then contact us.


Useful Forms

Below is a list of forms that you may find useful as a dog owner. If you have any queries, or the form you require is not listed below, pop into your nearest Council Service Centre, contact us on 06 374 4080 or 06 376 0110, or send us an email.