Building, Planning & LIMs

Forms &

If you are planning to build something new, make changes to an existing structure, or do something with your land that may impact on the environment or other people, there are certain guidelines you need to adhere to and consents you need to obtain.

The building and planning areas of Tararua District Council can provide advice on working within New Zealand’s building and resource management legislation.

Council also processes building, land use and subdivision consents. All three consents are very different, and depending on your project you may need one, two, or all three.

For further information about building or renovating, visit the Building pages.

For further information about the way you use your land, land use and subdivision consents and compliance with the Resource Management Act, visit the Planning pages.


LIMs (Land Information Memorandum)

In accordance with Section 44 of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act, a local authority (council) is required to provide information to any interested party pertaining to any special features of the land known to the Council including potential erosion, falling debris, sinking, slipping, silting or building up of land, flooding or likely hazardous pollutants.

Find out how to apply for a building consent, the Council inspection process, and how to apply for a code of compliance certificate when the project is finished.
If you're planning any construction, demolition or alteration work, you will need to obtain a Building Consent before the work begins.
General information on how to create and maintain healthy indoor environments.
Tararua District Council's Planning Department is here to help promote sustainable management of the environment.
A LIM is the most comprehensive report you can get on a property. LIMs include historical and current information on commercial and residential properties.
Information relating to pool owners responsibilities and the Building (Pools) Amendment Act 2016.