Logo_-_GoShift.jpgTararua District Council is one of more than 20 councils around the country that are working together to bring consistency to the building consent process.

The vision of the initiative, called GoShift, is to deliver a consistent and timely consenting experience with the aim of providing a simpler process for building consent applications.

GoShift is a partnership between Central Government (Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment) and Local Government (local councils) to improve performance, consistency and service delivery across the building consent system. You can find out more about the GoShift initiative by visiting the website.

All of the participating councils will be transitioning their current building consent application forms to a consistent version of application forms that have been developed as part of the GoShift initiative. 

Alongside the new application forms, a comprehensive set of guides have been designed to support you to understand and complete the applications for building work. The guides and application forms are available on the Council website (see below) or the GoShift website.

You can also obtain a hard copy of any application or guide by calling in to your nearest Council Service Centre, or call us on the numbers below and request these to be mailed out to you.

Tararua District Council transitioned to the GoShift application forms and guidelines on Monday, 27 March 2017. From this date forward, it is important that you ensure that you are using the GoShift forms for your building consent related applications.

Applications made on the old forms will be accepted up until Monday, 01 May 2017. After this date, Council will no longer accept any applications made on the old forms.

Council is happy to answer any questions you might have regarding the GoShift initiative. You can get in touch with the Council team by phoning 06 374 4080 or 06 376 0110, or email info@tararuadc.govt.nz.

Application forms and guides

Memorandum From Licensed Building Practitioner: Certificate of Design Work

A Memorandum from Licensed Building Practitioner: Certificate of Design Work form is used to outline what Restricted Building Work design work was carried out or supervised on a project, and who carried it out or supervised it.

Application Form (352KB pdf)
Guide (297KB pdf)  

Building Consent

A Building Consent is usually required before any physical work can start on your project. Councils grant a building consent application when they are confident your proposed work will meet the requirements of the Building Code.

Application Form (1.7MB pdf)
Guide (1.6 MB pdf)

Notice of Owner Builder

A Notice of Owner-Builder should be used during the construction process when the Owner-Builder starts or stops using the Owner-Builder Exemption.

Application Form (314KB pdf)
Guide (220KB pdf)

Memorandum From Licensed Building Practitioner: Record of Building Work

A Memorandum from Licensed Building Practitioner: Record of Work form is used to outline what Restricted Building Work was carried out or supervised on a building site, and who carried it out or supervised it.

Application Form (336KB pdf)
Guide (282KB pdf)


Statutory Declaration Of Owner/Builder

A Statutory Declaration as to Owner-Builder form is used to show that the owner-builder criteria are met, for owner-builders who want to use the Owner-Builder Exemption (which allows them to carry out Restricted Building Work on their own home).

Application Form (405KB pdf)
Guide (528KB pdf) 

Certificate For Public Use

A Certificate for Public Use allows premises affected by building work to be used by the public.

Application Form (370KB pdf)
Guide (327KB pdf)

Extension of Time

An extension of time may be issued at the council’s discretion, either to issue a Code Compliance Certificate or to extend the time to start works.

Application Form (272KB pdf)
Guide (184KB pdf)

Code Compliance Certificate

A Code Compliance Certificate is issued when a job is finished and the council is satisfied building and plumbing work complies with the Building Code and the building consent.

Application Form (404KB pdf)
Guide (292KB pdf)

Additional information

When does GoShift go live?

The first part of GoShift is live now. Application forms and advice on how to complete them are now available. Consent processing checklists are currently being developed in consultation with council representatives. 

GoShift is aiming to implement standardised application forms, processing checklists, inspection types and checklists and templates as the first step to developing a standardised approach across councils.

Is GoShift just another IT system?

GoShift is not an IT system at all. It’s about standardising and aligning building consent processes across all participating councils, regardless of size, location or system.

Will Councils in other parts of New Zealand be able to join?

The central regions are currently leading this work, however, councils in other regions are welcome to join.

Will the process for building consent applications change?

The governing law (Building Act) will not change. However, councils can choose to change the way they administer building consents to align with GoShift.

How will the building consent process change?

Reducing the number of forms and processes and standardising them across councils will make the whole consents process more efficient and consistent for customers.