A message from Emergency Management
At supermarkets and other shops, too many people (including the technically savvy younger generation) are not using the NZ COVID Tracer app. Ideally, manual sign-in should only be reserved for people that really need it, such as those that do not a have mobile device and those with older phones that aren’t compatible with the app. Bruce Jenkins from Dannevirke New World explains the benefit of using the NZ COVID Tracer app, “Using the NZ COVID Tracer app will actually make your supermarket trip quicker and safer. By the time you get to the front of the queue, you can be signed in and keep the line running smoothly. Signing in manually is both higher risk and very time consuming for our staff to manage.” It also ensures that if a community case arrived in the Tararua District, the fantastic contact tracing team could notify the affected shoppers instantly.
So, if you have a mobile phone, please download the NZ COVID Tracer app and bring it to the store. It’s quick and effective and will keep customers, staff, friends and family safe. NZ COVID Tracer is a Ministry of Health app. You can download it from the Apple App Store or from Google Play.
Some NZ COVID Tracer facts:
- NZ COVID Tracer works on about 95 percent of smartphones, so there’s really no excuse.
- The more people who use the NZ COVID Tracer app, the more effective it will be, and the faster we can get ahead of the virus.
- Scanning QR codes in public places, such as shops, keeps track of where you went and when you went there.
- Turning on Bluetooth tracing is recommended. It allows you to receive an alert if you’ve been near another app user who tests positive for Covid-19.
- Both scanning QR codes and Bluetooth tracing are important for contact tracing.
- The app is designed to protect the privacy of everyone who uses it.
- Around 2.4 million New Zealanders are already using the app.
- Bluetooth tracing in the NZ COVID Tracer app uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), which means it will have only minimal impact on your battery usage, especially if you already have Bluetooth enabled.
By using it, you're helping keep yourself and your family safer and supporting New Zealand to stop the spread of Covid-19.