Out of Bounds for Hounds
Dogs have restricted access in some areas of the Tararua District – this prevents them from causing a ‘nuisance’ or “annoyance” to the community or wildlife in these areas.
Areas where restrictions apply are usually places where many people - particularly children - may be present. Council is encouraging dog owners to familiarise themselves with the prohibited areas of the Tararua District (below).
Excluding those carried in a vehicle, dogs are prohibited (banned) in the following areas:
- All public reserves, wildlife reserves, sports grounds and sports stadiums situated in urban areas
- All public libraries administered by the Council
- All public swimming baths
- All cemeteries administered by the Council
The ban does not apply to:
- dogs attending vet clinics;
- dogs working as a guide or hearing dog; or
- dogs working for the Police.
Council is happy to answer any questions you may have regarding Animal Control. You can get in touch with the Council team by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning 06 374 4080 or 06 376 0110.