Simpli (GoShift)

Tararua District Council is one of more than 20 councils around the country that are working together to bring consistency to the building consent process.

The vision of Simpli is to create:

  • standardised processes, forms, templates and checklists for building consent applications
  • an online application service for submitting, viewing and managing building consent applications and;
  • A best practice, quality management manual for councils to manage the building consent process. 

The longer term goal is a unified national approach that will make it easier and faster to get a building consent, no matter where you live and work. 

Alongside the application forms, a comprehensive set of guides have been designed to support you to understand and complete the applications for building work. The guides and application forms are available on the Council website (see below) or the Simpli website.

You can also obtain a hard copy of any application or guide by calling in to your nearest Council Service Centre, or call us on the numbers below and request these to be mailed out to you.

Council is happy to answer any questions you might have regarding the Simpli initiative. You can get in touch with the Council team by phoning 06 374 4080 or 06 376 0110, or send us an email.

Application forms and guides

Building Consent

A Building Consent is usually required before you commence any building work. Councils grant a building consent when they are confident your proposed work will meet the requirements of the Building Code.

Application Form(1.7MB pdf)
Guide(1.6 MB pdf)
Application of Solid Fuel (form 2) 

Code Compliance Certificate

A Code Compliance Certificate is issued when a job is finished and the council is satisfied building and plumbing work complies with the Building Code and the building consent.

Application Form(404KB pdf)
Guide(292KB pdf)

Extension of Time

An extension of time may be issued at the council’s discretion, either to issue a Code Compliance Certificate or to extend the time to start works.

Application Form(272KB pdf)
Guide(184KB pdf)

Certificate For Public Use

A Certificate for Public Use allows premises affected by building work to be used by the public.

Application Form(370KB pdf)
Guide(327KB pdf)

Memorandum From Licensed Building Practitioner: Certificate of Design Work

A Memorandum from Licensed Building Practitioner: Certificate of Design Work form is used to outline what Restricted Building Work design work was carried out or supervised on a project, and who carried it out or supervised it.

Application Form(352KB pdf)
Guide(297KB pdf)

Notice of Owner Builder

A Notice of Owner-Builder should be used during the construction process when the Owner-Builder starts or stops using the Owner-Builder Exemption.

Application Form(314KB pdf)
Guide(220KB pdf)

Statutory Declaration Of Owner/Builder

A Statutory Declaration as to Owner-Builder form is used to show that the owner-builder criteria are met, for owner-builders who want to use the Owner-Builder Exemption (which allows them to carry out Restricted Building Work on their own home).

Application Form(405KB pdf)
Guide(528KB pdf)

Memorandum From Licensed Building Practitioner: Record of Building Work

A Memorandum from Licensed Building Practitioner: Record of Work form is used to outline what Restricted Building Work was carried out or supervised on a building site, and who carried it out or supervised it.

Application Form(336KB pdf)
Guide(282KB pdf)

Additional information

The first part of Simpli is live now. Application forms and advice on how to complete them are now available. Consent processing checklists are currently being developed in consultation with council representatives. 

Simpli is aiming to implement standardised application forms, processing checklists, inspection types and checklists and templates as the first step to developing a standardised approach across councils.

Is Simpli just another IT system?

Simpli is not an IT system at all. It’s about standardising and aligning building consent processes across all participating councils, regardless of size, location or system.

Will Councils in other parts of New Zealand be able to join?

The central regions are currently leading this work, however, councils in other regions are welcome to join.

Will the process for building consent applications change?

The governing law (Building Act) will not change. However, councils can choose to change the way they administer building consents to align with Simpli.

How will the building consent process change?

Reducing the number of forms and processes and standardising them across councils will make the whole consents process more efficient and consistent for customers.