Resource Consent


To help achieve a sustainable natural and built environment and a strong prosperous economy.

What are Resource Consents?
Resource consents are permits issued by the Tararua District Council Planning Department for activities that could affect the environment or other people in the district. Tararua District Council issues two types of resource consent – land use consent and subdivision consent.

Land use consent is required if you wish to use your land for something that is not allowed by a rule in the District Plan. An example is building too close to the boundary.

Subdivision consent is required to subdivide land or buildings for separate ownership, such as new lots or sections (fee simple), unit title, flat plans (cross lease) or company lease.

Resource consents are also issued by Regional Council's for activities involving:

  • discharges to air and land
  • water taking, damming or diverting water;
  • coastal marine area activities (except fishing);
  • activities in the beds of rivers and lakes and
  • specific uses of land that may cause soil erosion.

For further information on Regional Council resource consents, you can contact Horizons Regional Council or Greater Wellington Regional Council.

Do I need a Resource Consent?
If you wish to subdivide, build or use your land in a way that does not comply with the rules of the District Plan, a resource consent must first be obtained. If you breach the rules or don't obtain a resource consent when you need one, you may face penalties.

Whether you need a consent and what type of consent depends on what you want to do and how it's classified in the District Plan. The district plan sets out what activities are permitted as of right and which ones require resource consent.

If your activity is listed as permitted and complies with all relevant rules/standards of the district plan, you do not need a resource consent. If you wish to obtain official recognition that your activity can take place without a resource consent, you may apply for a certificate of compliance.

If your activity is listed as permitted, but does not comply with all relevant rules/standards of the district plan, you will need to obtain a resource consent.

If your activity is listed as controlled, restricted-discretionary or discretionary, you will need to obtain a resource consent.

If your activity is not otherwise listed in the district plan, it is discretionary and you will need to obtain a resource consent.

You should always check the district plan before you make any changes to your property.

If you are considering a project or activity which may require a resource consent, Tararua District Council Planning Department will be able to assist. They can explain which activities require Resource Consents under the Resource Management Act 1991. If consent is required, they can also provide guidance on the type of effects, assessment and consultation that would be appropriate for your proposal.

How do I apply for a Resource Consent
There is a prescribed form which must be completed. It can be accessed from this website under publications/forms or from any Council Service Centre. It is important that all the required information is provided. You will also need to include plans, certificate of title, an assessment of environmental effects and the appropriate fee.

If your application doesn't include everything that's required, it will be put on hold, until we receive further information.

We strongly encourage pre-application meetings before lodging complex applications. Please contact the Duty Planner if you have any questions by phoning us on 06 374 4080 or by emailing us.

How will the application be processed?
Some applications require public notification. This gives the wider community a chance to make a submission to the proposal. A Council Officer will prepare a report for the Council, setting out the matters it must consider and how the application measures up against them. Sometimes this report is prepared by a Consultant.

Generally speaking, a hearing is only held for notified hearings. This gives submitters the opportunity to reinforce their submissions and also provides the applicant with a chance to response to any issues that submitters may raise.

Can anyone make a submission on a Resource Consent?
For resource consent applications that are publicly notified any person who wishes to do so can make a submission on an application within 20 working days of the date of the public notification.

For applications that have been limited notified only those persons who have been notified as affected parties can make submissions.

Submissions must be made in writing using the form prescribed by the legislation. You may obtain the form from the Council's Customer Service Centre.

For applications that are non-notified, no person may make a submission.

Issuing of your Resource Consent
The decision advising you whether your consent has been granted or declined will be issued and sent to the address for service. You will be invoiced for any outstanding monies due at the time of the consent being issued. If the Resource Consent is granted it may be granted with conditions that either mitigate or bring your application into line with the relevant District Plan rules. The conditions are aimed at reducing actual and potential adverse effects and the protection and enhancement of the environment. Conditions may include provision for:

  • The entering into of a bond or bonds for works required
  • The provision of on site car parking
  • Landscaping
  • The control of noise levels
  • Restrictions on the days and hours of operation
  • Formation of entranceways to Council standards
  • Connection to services and disposal of stormwater onsite.

When can you proceed with your proposed development?
For a non-notified application you may proceed with the approved activity upon receipt of your Resource Consent Notice of Decision. For notified applications an appeal period of 15 working days applies from date the decision notice is received. If the decision is in your favour you may proceed with the approved activity only after the appeal period has elapsed with no appeal having been lodged. As the applicant you have a right of appeal if the decision is against your application. If you decide to do this you must file the appeal with the Environment Court within 15 working days of the notice of decision being received. When an appeal is lodged you cannot proceed with the activity that is the subject of the appeal until the court notifies its decision. Note: It can take over 10 months for the Environment Court to consider and determine an appeal.

Can a decision be appealed?
An applicant or people already involved in an application process can appeal the Council's decision and go to the Environment Court.

Contact Us
We encourage you to contact us for information about Resource Consents, either by calling in at the Services Counter at Dannevirke and speaking to the Duty Planner - no appointment necessary or using any of the contact information provided below.

Planning Department Contact Details
Phone   (06) 374 4080
Fax   (06) 374 4137
Location   26 Gordon Street, Dannevirke
Postal Address   PO Box 115, Dannevirke