Property Information Requests

Land information Memorandum

Building Packet Requests


A Land Information Memorandum (LIM) is a report that provides information held by the Council about a specific property. The report is prepared by the council, at your request.

Why does Council provide LIMs (Land Information Memorandum)?

In accordance with Section 44A of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act, a local authority (council) is required to provide information to any interested party pertaining to a specific property. A LIM report usually contains the following:

  • Area of site
  • Official address and legal description
  • Zoning of the property
  • Private and public stormwater and sewerage drains as shown in Council records.
  • Water supply information
  • Government valuation of the property and rates levied for the current year, including water rates where applicable and the amount of any rates owing
  • Consent, certificate, notice, order or requisition affecting the land or any building on the land previously issued by the Council.
  • Information which has been notified to the Council by any network utility operator under the Building Act and any certificates issued by a building certifier
  • Any information that has been submitted to Council by a statutory organisation or network utility operator (e.g. suppliers of gas, power) relating to the site
  • Information, which in terms of any other Act, has been notified to the Council by any statutory organisation (ie Historic Places Trust or Department of Conservation) which has the power to classify land or buildings for any purpose.

Who might require a LIM?

  • Property Buyers and Sellers
  • Real Estate Agents
  • Valuers
  • Solicitors

Why should you obtain one if you are interested in purchasing a property?

If buying a property, a LIM may answer some important questions that need to be asked about the land or any buildings erected on the property. A LIM will tell you what the Council knows about the property or any issues that may affect it. Knowledge of this information may be vital prior to a property sale being finalised.

When selling a property you may have a responsibility to disclose important information about the property. If you are a professional assisting a property buyer or seller you have a responsibility to be aware of information in these memoranda when giving your advice.

How do I obtain a LIM?

LIM application forms are available for download here (751KB pdf) - they are also available at any Tararua District Council Service Centre or they can be posted, faxed or emailed to you. You should forward your completed application along with the appropriate fee to the Council.

When will I receive the LIM?

Providing all the necessary information is supplied with your application, the LIM will be prepared within 10 working days and forwarded to you as quickly as possible. The final LIM will be a provided electronically by email and the original hardcopy posted.

How much does a LIM cost ?

LIM report fee charges are dependent on the zoning of the property as per our District Plan.

To find out the zoning of the property you are requesting a LIM for, please refer to the Zoning Information module in our Online Maps. Alternatively, you can contact any Tararua District Council Service Centre for further information.

Land Information Memorandum fees 1 July 2021  30 June 2022

$ 300.00 - Standard LIM (Zoned Residential or Settlement as per District Plan)

$ 400.00 - Non‐standard LIM (Zoned Rural, Industrial or Commercial as per District Plan)

Payment is to be made at the time of application, cheque payments can be sent by post with the application. Processing of the LIM report will only commence once a signed application form and full payment has been received.

Payment can be made at any Tararua District Council Service Centre, or you can pay by direct credit:

Direct Credit/Internet Banking Details: Tararua District Council - 03 0614 0088406 001

Please ensure you provide correct reference details when making your payment to avoid any delays:

Particulars Address of Property
Code 462
Reference LIM

Please note: Payments by internet banking can take a couple of days to process. It's a good idea to pay and apply early to ensure you receive your report when you need it.

Building Packet Request

A building packet request is a free service where Council can provide any consented building records (i.e. permits and consents) that we have on a property file. Anyone can request building records for any property in the district.

Please note, we can only provide what we have on file. There are instances where there may be no available records. If this is the case, you will be advised.

How to make a Building Packet Request

You can request this information by calling our Customer Services team on (06) 374 4080 (North) or (06) 374 4110 (South), or by emailing 

Is there a cost involved?

No - this is a free service.