Food & Health Licensing

Owning a business can be an exciting time. However, there are a lot of rules and regulations in place to ensure that your business looks after the safety of you and your customers.

Operating a food business

Any business that deals with the manufacture, preparation, or sale of food in Tararua, needs to be registered with Tararua District Council. This means whether you are wanting to open a café, or are thinking of selling hot dogs on the side of the road, you need to get in touch with us.

If you would like to speak with someone about what your business will need to achieve compliance, contact our Environmental Health Officer on 06 374 4080. Please note, when registering any new business at Council, it is normal for there to be a waiting period of up to 20 working days for the registration to be processed.

Under the Food Act 2014, all food business registrations will be published on the national database, managed by the Ministry for Primary Industries.

Fees and Charges

The latest health, gambling and liquor licensing fees can be found on Council's full list of Fees & Charges.

Applying for registration

There are a number of ways to register your food business with Council. This will depend on what type of food business you are planning on running, and the type of food for sale. For an on-site food business, click here to find out what may be required.

Information that you will need to have available to support your application will include:

  • Trading name and physical address for your premises
  • Floor plan of your business, including detailed information on surface linings
  • Completed Food Control Plan & supporting documents

Mobile Food Vendors

If you are considering a food cart or something similar, you will need to fill in an application form. For this application, you will need:

  • Current vehicle licence and registration number for your vehicle
  • Current electrical and gas safety certificates,
  • Detailed description of goods that you will be selling,
  • Location of where you are intending to trade.

Click here for more information about what you may require to get your mobile business up and running, or contact our Environmental Health Officer on 06 374 4080.

Forms and information

If you have any questions about what is required to get your business up and running, or if you want to ensure that you’re meeting best practice guidelines, please contact the Environmental Health Officer on 06 374 4080 or by email.

Below is a complete list of forms or information that may be relevant to food premises:

Contact details

Environmental Health Officer
06 374 4080 or 06 376 0110
06 374 4137
26 Gordon Street, Dannevirke (physical)
PO Box 115, Dannevirke 4942 (postal)