Huarahi Tūhono - Weber to Wimbledon
Tararua District Council has been granted funding to deliver a project to upgrade sections 44 & 63 of Route 52 between Weber, Tararua District, and the boundary of Central Hawke’s Bay.
The project was named “Huarahi Tūhono - Weber to Wimbledon” during a workshop between Council and representatives from iwi and the local community. Huarahi means “road or pathway” and Tūhono means “to connect”.
“The road that connects Weber to Wimbledon”
Made possible with funding administered by the Provincial Development Unit (PDU), the project will invest $14.6m in badly needed safety and resilience upgrades on this vital 26km stretch of Route 52. Project management will be overseen by the Tararua Alliance, with the support of the Tararua District Council.
As one of many across New Zealand approved as a “Shovel-Ready Project” (a funding stream set up in response to the Covid-19 Economic Response Package), the project is subject to achieving both physical and social outcomes.
- Upgrade all bridges so they can support high productivity motor vehicles (HPMVs)
- Address the key geotechnical and pavement condition issues of the route
- Design and construct to align future maintenance costs with the network average
- Improve safety of high-risk sections (improving against performance measures outlined in the One Network Framework)
- Upgrade the route with the aim of providing a consistent journey between Dannevirke & the boundary of Central Hawke’s Bay
- Provide a safe route for the community
- Engage the local community (employ local people, upskill local people)
- Support the economy’s recovery from Covid-19
- Improve the environment for future generations
Progress and Updates
Join the mailing list...
If you'd like to receive email updates about the project, you can sign up to our mailing list.
News and updates
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
We don't have any FAQ yet - have something you'd like to ask? Contact us using the information below.
If you have a concern, complaint or compliment regarding this project, you can speak with a member of the Project Team by calling 06 374 4080 or 06 376 0110. You can also email email@example.com with your contact details and request for a member of the Project Team to get in touch with you.