Building, Planning & LIMs

If you are planning to build something new, make changes to an existing structure, or do something with your land that may impact on the environment or other people, there are certain guidelines you need to adhere to and consents you need to obtain.

Building & Planning

The building and planning areas of Tararua District Council can provide advice on working within New Zealand’s building and resource management legislation.

Council also processes building, land use and subdivision consents. All three consents are very different, and depending on your project you may need one, two, or all three.

For further information about building or renovating, visit the Building & Consents pages.

Alternatively, you can download a copy of our Frequently asked questions here.

For further information about the way you use your land, land use and subdivision consents and compliance with the Resource Management Act, visit the Planning pages.

Land Information Memorandums (LIMs)

In accordance with Section 44A of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act, a local authority (council) is required to provide information to any interested party pertaining to any special features of the land known to the Council including potential erosion, falling debris, sinking, slipping, silting or building up of land, flooding or likely hazardous pollutants.

For further information, or to find out how you can apply, visit the LIMs (Land Information Memorandum) page.

Forms & further information

If you're looking for an application form or guide, visit the Forms & Information page.

If you can't find what you're looking for, or you would like to speak with one of our team, please contact us.