Liquor Ban Areas
Following consultation with the community, Tararua District Council adopted an Alcohol Bylaw which came into force on 17 December 2018.
The liquor ban covers:
- Dannevirke central business district (24 hours per day, seven days a week)
- Pahiatua (24 hours per day, seven days a week)
- Ākitio Beach (from 12 noon on 24 December in any year to 7:00am on 3 January of the following year at all times)
Full details of the zones and rules can be downloaded below:
Note: A breach of the alcohol ban area is an offence and an infringement notice ($250) may be issued.
The liquor ban zone prohibits:
- The consumption of liquor in a public place; or
- the bringing of liquor into a public place; or
- the possession of liquor in a public place; or
- in conjunction with a prohibition relating to liquor under paragraphs i to iii, the presence or use of a vehicle in a public place; or
- varying existing specified places; or
- varying existing specified periods.
Note: These restrictions do not apply to any licensed premises during any period in which the licensee is serving or allowing the consumption of alcohol in any area covered by an on-licence or special licence.