Road Encroachment & Berms

In accordance with Council’s Road Encroachment Policy;

  1. Permanent road encroachments will only be permitted where there is a clear benefit to the road, or exceptional circumstances exist.
  2. Applications for permanent encroachment licences must be made on the prescribed form and be accompanied by the prescribed fee. Any licences granted may be subject to any conditions the Council sees fit to impose and will be for a specified term, with no automatic right of renewal.
  3. Temporary road encroachments (for a period of no longer than one month), using electric fences only, will be permitted for the express purpose of clearing excess growth from road reserves.
  4. Every temporary electric fence is to be kept at least 2.5 metres clear of the formed roadway and must be clearly visible to road users. Fencing materials are to be “pigtails”, insultimber stakes, or other approved temporary electric fence materials. Waratah standards are not permitted.
  5. Roadside water tables and drains are to be excluded from the areas fenced for grazing. The cost of repairing any damage to these structures caused by stock grazing road reserves may be recovered from the owners of the stock.
  6. Stock may be grazed only during daylight hours and the power supply to the fence must be disconnected when stock are not grazing. All fencing materials must be removed on completion of the grazing, or when requested to by Council staff. The Council may, without notice, remove any fencing materials not so removed.
  7. The general permission to graze road frontages is subject to the following conditions:
    1. that owners of the stock arrange and keep in force public liability insurance to protect any liability for damage occurring to third parties; and
    2. that owners of the stock indemnify the Council from any liability arising to the Council as a result of the grazing activity.
  8. The Council reserves the right to restrict or prohibit the grazing of specific areas of roadsides, if it is felt necessary, to maintain the integrity of the constructed road or for the safety of road users.

Responsibility for Mowing Berms

The general responsibility for mowing grass berms rests with the owners or occupiers of the adjacent property. The Council mows berms adjacent to Council properties and where a berm is so big we consider it unreasonable for the residents to mow.

Please take pride in your street, be a good citizen and ensure you mow your berm regularly.

When residents and landowners are unable or unwilling to mow a grass berm, Council contractors will maintain the berm as and when required, to alleviate fire risk. The timing and frequency of this service is at the Council's discretion and will vary depending on seasonal conditions and growth of the grass.

  • Retirement village: owner arranges mowing
  • Building with a body corporate: body corporate arranges mowing
  • Blocks of flats: residents in common arrange mowing
  • Townhouse: residents who share a berm should arrange mowing
  • Cross-leased property: owners sharing the berm should arrange mowing
  • Tenants: agree mowing arrangements with your landlord
  • Landlords: agree mowing arrangements with your tenants