Food Licensing

If you’re planning on selling or supplying food, you need to register a Food Control Plan or National Programme with Council or the Ministry for Primary Industries.

Registering a Food Business

All businesses selling food must be registered, either with the Ministry for Primary Industries or Council.

Ministry for Primary Industries has an online tool called 'My Food Rules' which helps you work out what rules you need to follow under the Food Act 2014. We recommend using it before getting registered:

If you require more information, please contact:

Environmental Health Officer
Phone: 06 374 4080 or 06 376 0110
Address: 26 Gordon Street, Dannevirke
Postal: PO Box 115, Dannevirke 4942

Additional Contacts and Information

If you’re thinking of opening a food business or taking over an existing food business, you may need to consult with other Council departments in addition to Environmental Health, such as:

Contact Council’s Duty Planner to ensure that you can set up a food business in your chosen area. The zoning of some areas exclude commercial activity and you may need to apply for Resource Consent to operate in some areas. The Duty Planner can also tell you if there is any parking or other planning requirements in your area. You can contact the Duty Planner by email, or phone 06 374 4080 or 06 376 0110.

Planning & Resource Consents

If you are building new premises or altering an existing premise, you may require Building Consent. Council's Building Control Team will be able to advise you whether or not the work you intend to do requires a Building Consent. They will also be able to provide advice on public toilet requirements for your premises. Depending on the type and volume of food you are preparing, you may also require a grease trap. You can contact the Building Control Team by email, or phone 06 374 4080 or 06 376 0110.

Building & Consents

If you intend to sell liquor on your premises, or have patrons bring liquor for consumption on the premises while dining, you will need to apply for the appropriate licence under the Sale and Supply of Liquor Act 2012. It is recommended that application for a liquor licence is made as early as possible as issuing licences takes time. You can contact the Licensing Inspector by email, or phone 06 374 4080 or 06 376 0110.

Alcohol Licensing