If you are interested in opening a new funeral directors premises, it is recommended that you contact the Tararua District Council to discuss your proposal.
Applying for Registration
All funeral director and mortuary premises are required to register their business details with their local Council, you can do this by completing an application for registration of premises. The registration is renewable each year and an annual fee applies.
Funeral Directors Fees & Charges
You will also need to contact our Planning Team and a Building Control Officer to confirm whether you will require a resource consent or building consent prior to refitting the premises.
Phone: 06 374 4080 or 06 376 0110
Address: 26 Gordon Street, Dannevirke
Postal: PO Box 115, Dannevirke 4942
Funeral directors are inspected annually by the Environmental Health Officer to ensure they comply with the Health (Burial) Regulations 1946, and are following industry standards.
Health (Burial) Regulations 1946 | New Zealand Legislation
The basic requirements for funeral director premises - that undertake activities additional to viewing - are to demonstrate that they meet the following requirements:
- Mortuary surfaces are required to be continuously smooth, impervious to water, readily cleanable and lightly coloured;
- Floors must be coved to the walls and permanent fixtures and graded and drained to the sewer;
- Lighting and ventilation must be adequate;
- Mortuary tables must also be graded and drained;
- There must be hot and cold running water and a wash hand basin must be convenient to the area and separate from other sinks.
- Staff toilet facilities should be provided;
- Cleaning practices, personal hygiene, pest control, building maintenance and safe chemical storage must be managed effectively; and
- Backflow prevention.