Alcohol Licences

There are three types of alcohol licences available; On-Licence, Off-Licence and Club Licence.


This is for bars, taverns, restaurants and cafes, BYO restaurants and on-caterers (i.e. anywhere that sells alcohol to be consumed on the premises). All on-licences need to have substantial food available on the premises at all times when alcohol is for sale. The national maximum trading hours are 8:00am until 4:00am the following day.

Application Form | On-Licence (PDF file, 1.0 MB)

Application Form | On-Licence Renewal (PDF file, 815.7 KB)


This is for bottle stores, online stores, supermarkets selling alcohol and cellar doors; this type of licence is where alcohol is sold with the intention that it is taken away to be consumed off the premises. The national maximum trading hours are 7:00am until 11:00pm.

Application Form | Off-Licence (PDF file, 983.4 KB)

Application Form | Off-Licence Renewal (PDF file, 689.7 KB)

Club Licence

This is for any club that is registered as an Incorporated Society and can only sell and supply alcohol to members and their guests.

Application Form | Club Licence

Application Form | Club Licence Renewal (PDF file, 879.0 KB)

If you are taking over a currently licensed premises, you must get a Temporary Authority before you can trade. A Temporary Authority allows a new owner to operate off an existing licence issued for the premises for up to 3 months. You will need to apply for a new licence in your name (or company name) within this 3 month period.

Application Form | Temporary Authority (PDF file, 212.2 KB)

The process for each application is generally:

  1. Submit a completed application to the District Licensing Committee (via Council). You must ensure your application is complete, you can do this by using the check sheet attached to the application form.
  2. Publicly notify your application in the Bush Telegraph within 20 working days after lodging your application.
  3. Display a notice (Form 7) in a conspicuous place on or adjacent to the site the application refers to.
    Download Form 7 here 
  4. The District Licensing Committee (DLC) Secretary will forward a copy of your application to the Police, Medical Officer of Health and Licensing Inspector, who are required under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act to inquire into the application.
  5. If the Police or Medical Officer of Health has any matters in opposition to the application, they must file a report on it within 15 working days. Copies of their reports will be sent to you.
  6. The Licensing Inspector will provide a report to the DLC, on the application regarding the agencies and the application in general i.e. an assessment against the application criteria.
  7. A person with a greater interest in the application than the public generally may object to your application within 15 working days of the first publication of the public notice. If any are received, these will be forwarded to you.

All licence applications (including Special Licences) must demonstrate how the amenity and good order of the locality would not be reduced by a ‘more than minor’ extent if the licence was granted.

This includes aspects like:

  • Current noise or possible future noise levels
  • Current or possible nuisance and vandalism
  • Rubbish in an area caused by the premises
  • Location to sensitive sites such as churches, educational facilities etc.

Other important factors are:

  • The number of premises for which licences of the kind applied for are already held
  • The purpose for which land near the premises concerned is used
  • The purpose for which those premises will be used if the licence is issued

Alcohol Licensing Fees & Charges

  • The DLC will determine the application outcome.
  • If the Police, Medical Officer of Health or the inspector raise matters in opposition to your application, the DLC may choose to determine the application on the papers or refer this to a public hearing.
  • If objections are received from a person with a greater interest than the general public, this would be determined via a public hearing.

Once the public notice has been advertised there is a 15 working day period in which to lodge an objection. Visit our page Objecting To An Alcohol Licence Application for further information.