Cyclone Gabrielle Update - Support to Individuals

Published 2 March  2023

As well as the farming community, rural households, rural workers and contractors have also been impacted by Cyclone Gabrielle and are in need of support.

Your worries may relate to loss of income, insurance claims, housing or your general wellbeing.  The following help is available to everyone that needs it and we encourage you to reach out and seek the support you need.

Work and Income – Civil Defence Payments: Work and Income have a number of ways in which to help with the aftermath of Cyclone Gabrielle. If you have been affected by Cyclone Gabrielle, you may be able to get a Civil Defence Payment.  You do not have to be current client of Work and Income to seek support. To apply call 0800 400 100 (7am to 5pm) or go to:

Temporary Accommodation Services (TAS): TAS supports affected households to find temporary accommodation while their home is being repaired, rebuilt or they are unable to return to access their home. Find out more at: . The application form for this service can be found at:

New Zealand Claims Resolution Service: The New Zealand Claims Resolution Service (NZCRS) will provide free expert support to homeowners with insurance claims after natural disasters to avoid disputes, resolve issues and ensure claims are settled in a timely manner.  If you are having difficulty resolving your insurance or EQC claim following a natural disaster, the New Zealand Claims Resolution Service may be able to help, go to:

Tenancy NZ: Tenants and landlords of rental properties can visit for information on tenancy rights and obligations following natural disasters.

Mayoral Relief Fund: The Mayoral Relief Fund has been established to help support Tararua communities find their feet after the devastation caused by Cyclone Gabrielle. For more details please go to our website at: Information on how to apply for support from this fund will become available soon.

Mental Health Support: 1737 is New Zealand’s national mental health & addictions helpline number. Free call or text 1737 any time to talk with a trained counsellor. It’s completely free and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Rural Support Trust is also available on 0800 787 254.

Welfare support is available: If you have been affected by the cyclone and need support, please contact us on 06 374 4080 or 06 376 0110 and let us know how we can help.