How to transfer dog registration when moving between districts

07 February 2023

When you move between districts, you also need to transfer your dog’s registration.

There are a few simple steps to follow to do this. If you move to the Tararua district just bring your current dog registration tag/s to one of the Council service centres. You will then be given a registration form where you fill in your current address and owner details. Following this, a Tararua District Council registration tag will be given in exchange, free of charge.

When a person moves out of the Tararua district the dog owner must advise Council of this change (to avoid any issues in the next registration period).

After this, the owner should take their dogs current registration tag to the new district’s council office to exchange.

For more information please refer to: Dog Registration | Tararua District Council (